EECP Data Protection Policy
IEECP strives to comply with applicable laws and regulations related to personal data protection in the countries in which IEECP operates. We are a non-for-profit organisation, our line of work is consulting, and our aim is providing top quality scientific consulting in sustainability and climate change. In accordance with our caring for the environment and excelling in what we do, we are also considerate of the safety and privacy of data we collect.
This document defines the basic principles by which IEECP processes the personal data of its data subjects including beneficiaries of its work, suppliers, business partners, employees, and other individuals, as well as describes our data security policies. The Policy also indicates responsibilities of its employees while processing personal data and contains all documents connected to data privacy and security, either as annexes or as links to separate documents.
Please note that IEECP is committed to respect your privacy and protect your personal data, that we will not make personal information available to anyone other than our employees and will never use your personal information for marketing purpose and/or share it with third parties.
Information collection and use
The information collected on this website will mainly be used by IEECP for:
- Statistics purposes (monitoring and reporting to our funders)
- To keep visitors informed about IEECP activities (newsletter or events registrations) and
- To improve your navigation on our website (internal monitoring to improve website structure and flow).
We may collect personal data from public sources online in the public domain, whenever your professional activity is directly linked to our working topics: for instance, to fulfil our communication and dissemination activities, we gather contact details of officials from the EU Institutions and Member States, journalists or EU associations.
Web visitors IP address is anonymized and not kept within our analytics tools reporting, except for newsletter registrations, which are nonetheless kept strictly confidential and only accessible to the Data Protection Officer and Head of communications.
We will not sell, rent, trade or lease any personal data collected online or offline. All information will be kept strictly confidential unless you give us consent to do otherwise.
We collect and temporarily store specific technical data when you visit our website for web management use or security purposes. This data includes:
- Personal information or data
- Cookies and data use
Personal information or data
The IEECP website collects and stores only the information submitted when you subscribe to our newsletter or complete an online form such as event registration, or survey. If we ask you to provide sensitive information (such as your name and email), it will only be used to contact or identify you, and you will be informed about it. We use this data to provide you with information you have requested (newsletter subscription) or providing you with information relevant to your interests (event invitations and targeted communication such as EU projects-related newsletters). These are targeted, never commercial and sent only sporadically.
The specific case of surveys and interviews will ensure that you are only contacted if you agreed to by giving your explicit consent or allowing you to unsubscribe or to not be further contacted. We use industry standard practices to review data quality and confirm that your information is updated. We also keep data you voluntarily provide at events (through business cards or registration) in order to keep you informed about other similar events.
We provide newsletter subscribers the opportunity to opt out from our mailing list through an “unsubscribe” button available in all newsletters. They can also write at any time to the Data Officer. Registration to the said newsletter is done through a double opt-in process to ensure data security and informed consent. All personal and sensitive information provided through a GDPR-compliant newsletter form are stored on the MailChimp database.
Cookies and data use
- For monitoring purposes, we collect data that your browser sends when you visit our website, used to improve the functionality and usefulness of our website. This data can include your computer’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of IEECP’s website you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
- When you access our website with a mobile device, this data may include information such as type of mobile device you use, mobile device unique ID, IP address of your mobile device, mobile operating system, type of mobile Internet browser you use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Using cookies will not mean we get access to other information or data from your computer and the data allowed will not be used to track your online activity after you leave our website.
Should you wish not to have cookies stored on your computer, please change your settings asking your web browser to refuse them. Refusing cookies, however, can restrict your use of this website. To visit the website and benefit from all its functions, we recommend you leave cookies switched on. You can find out more about cookies and how to control them on www.allaboutcookies.org .
Retention and disclosure of data
IEECP only retains your personal information or data for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this policy. Raw data logs are retained temporarily as required for security and website management purposes only. If required by law and only under very specific circumstances, IEECP might be obliged to share some data or information.
- To comply with a legal obligation,
- To protect and defend the rights or property of IEECP,
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Services,
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Services or the public,
- To protect against legal liability.
Under European data protection laws, you may exercise the following rights at any time:
- Right to be informed about the purposes of processing your data and the identity of the data controller.
- Right to get confirmation of whether or not your personal data is being processed by us and access the data.
- Right to have it rectified, erased or to request restriction of processing or to object to the processing if applicable.
- Right to object and withdraw consent at any time: for all marketing materials, you can opt-out anytime, and free of charge.
- Right to data portability: based on your specific situation, we provide data subjects with the right to obtain and reuse your data across different services and include transferring of your data to you, another controller or a trusted third party.
- Access, erasure and rectification: You may exercise your right to access, erase and rectify any of your personal data at any time. You can request this by contacting our Data protection officer by email or writing to IEECP, Amsterdam Sloterdijk Teleport Towers – Kingsfordweg 151, Amsterdam, 1043GR, The Netherlands.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with your national Data Protection Authority. You can find the contact details of all national data protection authorities here.
The only exception to these rights is for data which IEECP has a legal obligation to keep on record.
Service providers or third-party services for analytics and others
We may disclose your information to service providers under contract who help with our business operations (such as, but not limited to, fraud investigations, software development, email delivery, marketing communications, bill collection, payment processing, and site analytics and operations). These third parties are authorized to use your Personal Data only as necessary to provide these services to IEECP, for example, the purposes for which the visitor has submitted the information and for the administration of our system or site and/or other internal, administrative purposes. Personal Data may also be transferred to third party service providers of identity management, website hosting and management, data analysis, data backup, security and storage services.
The third-party Service Providers IEECP mostly uses are to monitor and analyse the use of our websites and send newsletters.
We will only transfer your Personal Data to any third-party suppliers if and to the extent we are permitted to do so by law or if you have provided your prior consent.
If you have subscribed to IEECP email newsletters, you will be sent (via email) newsletters, updates and targeted invitations to events related to our work. When filling in the newsletter subscription form, you also have the choice to receive targeted information on specific topics. We will only send this information occasionally and you will have the opportunity to opt-out of these email communications at any time.
We use Google Analytics, a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. For information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy Terms web page.
When interacting on IEECP’s social media accounts (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and YouTube), your personal data consent and use are covered by the terms and conditions of the relevant social media platforms.
Links to Third-Party Sites
Our website does not address anyone under the age of 18 (“Children”).
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Child has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from Children without verification of parental consent, we will take steps to remove that information from our servers.
Copyright / intellectual property
All content on this website, including, but not limited to, graphics, images, texts, videos, animations, sounds, logos, GIFs and icons as well as their formatting are the exclusive property of IEECP, with the exception of trademarks, logos or contents belonging to other partner companies or authors and identified as such.
Any reproduction, distribution, modification, adaptation, retransmission or publication, even partial, of these elements should at least acknowledge the source – IEECP or the project – or look for the express written consent of IEECP. You can do so by emailing IEECP’s communication manager, Marine PERRIO.
Information and exclusion
IEECP uses all the means at its disposal to ensure its website contains reliable, updated and reliable information. However, errors or omissions may occur and, if you find such a deficiency, error or what appears to be a malfunction, please report it to us, describing the problem as precisely as possible (page posing the problem, the triggering action, the type of hardware or browser used, etc.) by emailing IEECP’s communication manager, Marine PERRIO.
The controller of your personal data, under applicable data privacy legislation and in regard to the processing of personal information, is:
IEECP – The Institute for European Energy and Climate Policy
Amsterdam Sloterdijk Teleport Towers
IEECP is a foundation, with a registered office at Kingsfordweg 151, 1043GR, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, registered in the Dutch Commercial Register of the Chamber of Commerce under number 64602214.